ICU Dorms: The Five Gender Segregated Dormitories at International Christian University in Tokyo, Japan

There are five gender specific undergraduate dormitories at the International Christian University (ICU) campus in Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan: two for men and three for women. They are:

  • Canada House (male)
  • Second Men’s Dorm / 2nd Men’s Dormitory (male)
  • Second Women’s Dorm / 2nd Women’s Dormitory (female)
  • Third Women’s Dorm / 3rd Women’s Dormitory (female)
  • Fourth Women’s Dorm / 4th Women’s Dormitory (female)

On average, these dorms are very “Japanese;” they claim on average, 80% of the students in these dorms are Japanese and the other 20% come from abroad. Rooms are doubles and foreigners are always assigned a Japanese roommate (only seniors and a couple juniors are lucky enough to snag a single room). These segregated dorms are a great community and a window into Japanese culture – something you arguably can’t get in some of the other dormitories such as Global House, Oak House, or Dialogue House.

Canada House Dorm

Canada House Dorm

These houses are communities, where most of the students stay for all four years. The ICU handbooks warns students “if you are at ICU for only one or two years, you need to be aware of an expectation and be willing to work for group harmony in your dormitory.” I can believe it.

How much do dorms at ICU cost?

As of 2013, these segregated dorms cost:

  • Canada House (male): 19,100yen per month
  • Second Men’s Dorm / 2nd Men’s Dormitory (male): 19,100yen per month
  • Second Women’s Dorm / 2nd Women’s Dormitory (female): 19,100yen per month
  • Third Women’s Dorm / 3rd Women’s Dormitory (female):  17,900yen per month
  • Fourth Women’s Dorm / 4th Women’s Dormitory (female): 20,500yen per month

A total of 66 men and 104 women can live in these gender segregated dorms.

Rules of these dormitories:

Men’s Dorms have a curfew of 12:00am (midnight) and re-open at 5:00am the next morning

Women’s Dorms have a curfew of 11:00pm and re-open at 5:00am the next morning

Visiting hours for all five dorms is from 9am to 11pm every day, however visitors of the opposite sex can’t go back to the rooms – they have to stay in the common room (but everyone breaks this rule).

Dorms have both segregated drinking and smoking areas

Second Men's Dorm

Second Men’s Dorm

Add me on Google Plus: +Grace Buchele

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s